- It is a departmental responsibility to ensure that departmental activities are risk assessed and managed.
Notify Estate Management (EM) of:
- buildings owned or leased by the Department that are not managed by EM
- occupation of any new buildings (post 2002)
- departmental moves between buildings
Administrators should be able to list the contents of a building in case of loss due to an insured peril.
Regularly review the contents held in their departments and notify the insurance section of:
- occupation of new buildings (post 2002)
- departmental moves between buildings
- acquisition of high value items (in excess of £1m)
- property in excess of £100k (maximum £50k single item) taken off University premises
- transit of property which exceeds £50k
- exhibitions (non Fine Art) over 4 weeks in Europe, and all for exhibitions outside Europe.
Check procedures and follow guidance from the University Security Office for holding and transiting money.
In the event of a claim to property and/or contents
- Take action to prevent further loss
- Report the matter to EM and the Insurance Section as soon as possible and complete a claim form.
- Take photographs of damaged items/areas to support claims.
- Where possible save any damaged items for inspection by the Loss Adjuster.
- Notify the Insurance Section of any purchase, sale or destruction of vehicles.
- A photocopy of the motor insurance certificate and claims procedure should be kept in every vehicle.
- Take a copy of the licence and review age, driving qualifications and driving convictions history of drivers annually.
- Where members of the department are using their own vehicles on University business, ensure that their insurance extends to business use.
Public Liability Insurance
- Ensure all complaints and/or claims from the public, students and/or research visitors or consultants and/or their solicitors are reported immediately to the Insurance Section. Do not enter into communication with either the claimant or their solicitors.
- Ensure that all contractors have appropriate insurance.
Employer's Liability Insurance
- Display current Certificate of Employer's Liability insurance somewhere prominent in the work place.
- Ensure all complaints and/or claims from employees and/or their solicitors are reported immediately to the Insurance Section. Do not enter into communication with either the claimant or their solicitors.
- All complaints re poor advice or education to be forwarded immediately to the Insurance Section. Do not enter into communication with either the claimant or their solicitors.
- Ensure that all consultants have appropriate insurance.
- Complete annual questionnaire when requested.
- Ensure appropriate insurance and indemnity has been arranged for research involving humans or human tissues.
- Ensure all complaints and/or claims are forwarded immediately to the Insurance Section and where appropriate any research partner. Do not enter into communication with either the claimant or their solicitors.
- Ensure all staff and registered postgraduate students have registered their travel plans on the University Travel insurance system and have appropriate risk management plans in place for their travel.
- Ensure all supervised departmental fieldtrips and overseas group trips have been registered on the University Travel insurance system and have appropriate risk management plans in place for their travel.
- Ensure travel claims are reported to the Insurance Section immediately.
Fine Arts, Old Books, Artefacts and Valuable Objects
- Contact the Insurance Section to arrange cover as required.
- Carefully check all donation agreements for insurance and indemnity responsibilities and put the necessary dover in place.
- Put 'All Risks' insurance in place for all loans unless an alternative agreement has been reached with the lender.
- Ensure appropriate cover in place for Exhibitions and Transits.
- Report damage to insured items to the Insurance Section immediately.
Engineering Insurance and Inspection for Pressure Vessels, Lifting Equipment and Lifts
- Notify equipment to the inspection service.
- Establish a system to monitor inspection dates.
- Ensure that all Statutory Inspections are carried out on or before the due date.
- Read and act upon inspection reports.