There are a number of important exclusions from cover.
- Theft from the open, from outbuildings, or from vehicles left unattended overnight.
- Wear and tear, damage caused by faulty or defective workmanship, operational error, corrosion, mechanical or electrical breakdown.
- Losses identified as a result of a stock-take.
- Works of art, antiquities and museum artefacts and valuable objects are not covered. However, special cover can be arranged for specific items and or exhibitions. See Insurance of Fine Arts, Old Books, Artefacts and Valuable Objects for further information.
- Books pre-1850 and periodicals pre-1900 are also excluded. However, special cover can be arranged for such items. See Insurance of Fine Arts, Old Books, Artefacts and Valuable Objects for further information.
- Contract penalties for failure to meet target dates imposed by commercial sponsors of research. Where research is affected by a property loss, business interruption cover is restricted to the consequential losses of a teaching and research university.
- The personal property of members of the University and or any visitors to the University.