Public Liability Insurance
The University has Public Liability insurance which protects the University from paying legal fees and settlement costs in situations where the University is found to be legally liable of negligence which has caused death, personal injury or property damage to another party.
Geographic limits of public liability insurance
The cover is worldwide although the policy will only respond to claims brought under English Law.
Public liability insurance for the actions of employees
The actions of employees of the University are protected by this insurance whilst they are engaged on University business. To obtain a letter confirming cover for employees making work related visits to other organisations, please contact the Insurance Section with information about the visit and confirmation from the department that appropriate risk management is in place. However, employees on sabbatical leave are not covered unless the department can show that the employee is directly working for the University during the period of leave.
Public liability insurance for the actions of students
The actions of students of the University are protected by this insurance whilst they are directly engaged on University business. To obtain a letter confirming cover for students making work related visits to other organisations, please contact the Insurance Section with information about the visit and confirmation from the department that the visit has been sanctioned and that appropriate risk management is in place.
Public liability insurance for clubs and societies
The University's Public Liability insurance applies to all affiliated clubs and societies registered with the University Proctor. To obtain a letter confirming public liability insurance to external providers of conference facilities, concert halls, sports facilities etc., please contact the Insurance Section with information about the activity. Clubs and societies should be prepared to evidence appropriate risk management and will be directed to relevant University risk managers for assistance. No letters confirming insurance will be issued until satisfactory risk management is in place.
Public liability insurance for subsidiary companies of the University
Subsidiary companies have the same cover as the University - see above.
Exclusions of cover
- The use by the University of aircraft or other aerial device (but not excluding research, e.g. testing of aircraft engines on the ground).
- The use of waterborne craft
- exceeding 24 feet in length or
- on inland waterways.
- Injury or damage caused by or arising from:
- ionizing radiations or contamination by radioactivity from any nuclear fuel or from any nuclear waste from the combustion of nuclear fuel;
- the radioactive toxic explosive or other hazardous properties of any explosive nuclear assembly or nuclear component thereof.
- The consequences of war.
- Contractual liability (see Product Liability Insurance)
- Mental injury or fear of suffering bodily injury, death, disease or illness arising out of actual or suspected exposure to asbestos, asbestos dust, or asbestos containing materials.
- Liability arising out of use, retention, storage or disposal of any human corpse or of any human tissue or organs or other human biological or genetic material.
- Liability for damage to data (meaning information represented or stored electronically including but not limited to code or series of instructions operating systems software programs and firmware).
Special cover may be arranged for the first two categories when necessary.
All contractors should carry appropriate insurance for the work they do for the University and departments should ensure that they do. Departmental Administrators can contact the Insurance Section to discuss appropriate levels of cover to ask for and to check the contractors' insurance documentation.