What is Discoverer Viewer?
Oracle Discoverer 10g is an ad-hoc query, reporting and analysis tool that allows users to gain access to information from UFS Live. It differs from other UFS enquiry and reporting options because it allows more bespoke query definitions across multiple departments (for users with multi-department access rights).
Discoverer 10g is the replacement for Discoverer 3.1 previously used by central and school finance staff.
The Viewer element of the Discoverer 10g suite allows users to interrogate UFS data using pre-defined query worksheets contained in workbooks.
Viewer users are offered flexible parameters to customise the query templates whilst avoiding the need to be conversant with specialist database query language and design techniques.
Viewer users run the queries and return the results in a form where they can modify layouts and formats before saving and/or exporting the results.
Information for Discoverer Viewer users
Finance Training have prepared a user guide to explain the functionality, this can be found in the related items menu to the right.
For new user access, for helpdesk advice or for any other questions about Discover, go to the Reporting Team home page for contact details.
Frequently asked questions
- Do I have to be logged into UFS to see my Discoverer reports?
- Does Viewer work on all browsers/platforms?
- Can I access Viewer from home?
- Why do my reports sometimes run quicker during a session?
- Can I see all workbooks and data within just one Viewer responsibility?
- Why is no data returned after the query has completed?
- Can I "undo" some or all of my layout/formatting changes?
- If I modify and save a shared workbook, does everyone see my new version?
- Why is the query taking a long time to run?
- Can I see (or create) a graph if the report author did not include one in the report design?
- If only some columns and rows are visible on screen, what happens when I export to Excel/PDF etc?
- What if I need a new report built?
- Can I "customise" one of the standard reports to my own requirements?
Do I have to be logged into UFS to see my Discoverer reports?
Yes. There are responsibilities in UFS live for Discoverer Viewer. You have to be logged into Discoverer to run the reports.
Does Viewer work on all bowsers/platforms?
Discoverer has been tested and works on all supported browser and operating settings, for more information please visit
Can I access Viewer from home?
Only if you can already access UFS or your desktop from home at the moment.
Why do my reports sometimes run quicker during a session?
If a report is re-run in the same login session with the same parameters, it will generate quickly because the query parameters and data are still in the cache memory.
Can I see all workbooks and data within just one Viewer responsibility?
You will see all workbooks that have been shared with you or shared with the responsibility, regardless of the UFS business area from which the data is drawn. If you have a UFS Central responsibility you should see almost all data across the modules such as GL, AP, PO etc.
Why is no data returned after the query has completed?
- One or more parameters were outside the range of conditions set by the author.
- One or more parameters do not exist.
- One or more parameters are case sensitive and the wrong case has been used.
- Parameters are entered incorrectly, either misspelled or with the wrong syntax.
- Multiple parameter values are incorrectly separated (spaces and commas).
- Parameters are valid but conflicting e.g. department AG and cost centre PDBA.
Can I "undo" some or all of my layout/formatting changes?
Yes. To undo all the changes you have made, click on the "Revert to Saved" menu link. To step back through the changes, you can also use the Back button on the browser window (note: this is a browser feature not a Discoverer function).
If I modify and save a shared workbook, does everyone see my new version?
No. When the Save As option is used and the new workbook is saved to the database, all sharing is removed from the new version
Why is the query taking a long time to run?
You have specified very broad parameters so data retrieval takes longer Some reports are known to be slower than old Discoverer 3.1 and is an issue that is under development. Please log any performance issues with a call or email to the Reporting Helpdesk
Can I see (or create) a graph if the report author did not include one in the report design?
Yes. The Viewer will generate a graph as soon as you change the Worksheet Options to display a graph
If only some columns and rows are visible on screen, what happens when I export to Excel/PDF etc?
All data from the report is exported. The display options do not dictate the exporting process.
What if I need a new report built?
Any requests for new reports should be made to Fin Reporting Helpdesk.
Can I "customise" one of the standard reports to my own requirements?
To an extent; most reports have parameter choices to give flexibility in the range of balances or transactions retrieved. The underlying conditions that are set up by the author cannot be changed although the Viewer allows some "drilling" to related data - this is a way of adding columns. If these options do not fulfill the custom requirement, then users should discuss their needs with the Reporting Team.