skip to content


Subsistence allowances can be paid to cover the expenses of unpaid visiting foreign academics where the individual performs no paid duties for the University.

For periods up to 1 month A daily rate of £50 can be paid
For periods of over 1 month but less than 4 months An allowance can be paid of up to a maximum of £1200 per month


Payments in line with the above do not need to be reported to the Payroll Team. Departments wanting to pay the higher sum or to pay for a longer period must contact the Tax Team prior to the visit for further advice.

See this section for details of how to open a bank account with Barclays for these individuals.

Tax implication

If the subsistence payments made are within the limits specified above they do not need to be reported on the P11D.

Raven Login

Some items on this website are restricted. University members are encouraged to log in using Raven to make the best use of the site:
Login with Raven