skip to content

Travel costs and subsistence payments are normally paid for/reimbursed from departmental funds or the appropriate research grant, however below are details of some central funding options.

The University Travel Fund

This fund, traditionally administered by the Education Section, was for making grants towards the cost of travelling and other expenses incurred by University officers in attending conferences or in travel for study or research connected with their University duties. However, with effect from the 1st August 2005 the fund has been devolved to Schools.

The Foreign Travel Fund

The Foreign Travel Fund is for resident members of the Senate aged at least 50 years who wish to travel abroad, with a view of extending their knowledge in any branch of learning with which their teaching or research is concerned.

Further details of eligibility and procedures for application are available from the Academic web pages.

Travel to work loans

An interest free loan, to the value of the employee's monthly net pay (or a maximum of £2,500, whichever is the lower) will be available to all staff on appointments of 3 months duration or more.

The loan will be for the employee to purchase an annual bus or rail season ticket at standard class travel, or to assist with the purchase of a bicycle and associated safety equipment.

Further details of eligibility and procedures for application are available from the HR web pages.


Please see our CORONAVIRUS/COVID-19 Assistance pages for help with areas of Finance during the current situation.

UFS issued communications and the University website also contain information on this topic

Raven Login

Some items on this website are restricted. University members are encouraged to log in using Raven to make the best use of the site:
Login with Raven