skip to content

If you hire a room then room hire is normally exempt from VAT and this should be entered on CUFS using the tax code 'No UK VAT'. There are two exceptions to this:

  • The person/company charging you for the room may have opted to charge VAT on the hire of the room and have an agreement in place with HM Revenue and Customs to do this. In this case VAT will be charged.
  • If a room is hired for the purposes of catering or for sleeping accommodation VAT will be charged.

E.g. If you went to a hotel and hired a room for a meeting then it would normally be exempt. However, if you hired the room for an event with catering (for example a staff party) then it would be taxable.


Please see our CORONAVIRUS/COVID-19 Assistance pages for help with areas of Finance during the current situation.

UFS issued communications and the University website also contain information on this topic

Raven Login

Some items on this website are restricted. University members are encouraged to log in using Raven to make the best use of the site:
Login with Raven