The Development Office's 'Procedures for Handling Donations' document explains the detailed University procedures for accepting donations. Departments should use these procedures before approaching any potential donors.
All members of the University involved in fundraising should consult the Development Office at an early stage in their discussions with a potential benefactor. An early consultation can:
- reduce the risk of uncoordinated approaches to a single potential donor;
- spread familiarity with the process for accepting benefactions;
- include advice on the application of the ethical guidelines and of the Proceeds of Crime Act;
- ensure donations are only accepted from sources and for purposes, acceptable to the University;
- allow an early warning to anyone unknowingly approaching a potential benefactor whose donation is not likely to be acceptable.