skip to content

In this section:



If an individual service provider has deemed employee status with the University then they are automatically covered by University insurance policies. However, if we are paying an individual service provider gross on a self-employed basis then it is very important that they have appropriate insurances in place.

We would normally expect a self-employed service provider to have:

  1. Professional Indemnity Insurance; and
  2. Public Liability Insurance

If the self-employed service provider does not have this insurance cover then the University could potentially be at risk. Therefore, insurance is an area that must be considered carefully when determining employment status.

If you have any queries regarding the individual and their insurance position or if the circumstances are not straightforward then please contact the Insurance Team as soon as possible.

Insurance Office         

Email                      Insurance Section on  Telephone              32216 or 39659

Quotations/tendering for contracts for services

The University's Financial Regulations set out thresholds for obtaining competitive quotes/tendering. These competition procedures are applicable unless a dispensation has been granted in accordance with Schedule 1.

Information, guidance and standard forms are available from Procurement Services 
Telephone Procurement Services on 65100 or 64328

 The University Financial Procedures for Procurement can be found online.



Is the service provider being hired a University Pensioner?

There are often problems with attempting to re-employ someone who has retired and has received payment from one of the University Pension Schemes. Occasionally, people try to avoid these problems by paying the individuals via an invoice instead of through payroll.

The same deemed employment status tests apply to the reality of the relationship between the Pensioner and the University, as between any other service provider and the University. The Pensioner cannot be considered self-employed just because it is easier to do so or it represents the wishes of the Pensioner. This does not mean that a Pensioner cannot be considered self-employed if the circumstances show that is the true nature of the relationship.

If deemed employee status is confirmed a contract must not be signed and your School HR Team should be consulted. They have a range of contract templates available for use and can advise appropriately.

If you are considering the hire or employment of a University Pension Scheme Pensioner advice MUST be sought from the Pensions Administration Section.

Pensions Administration          Email 
                                                   Tel 32214.

School HR Teams                      for details use the search facility here



Raven Login

Some items on this website are restricted. University members are encouraged to log in using Raven to make the best use of the site:
Login with Raven